Sometimes having a baby is very challenging and difficult, especially when they are teething. However, there are things you can do to make the situation a bit easier, and our Wildwood Family & Cosmetic Dentistry team is more than happy to tell you what those things are! For a more successful teething experience, we recommend doing the following things:
- Thoroughly wash your hands and then massage your baby’s gums with your fingers.
- Hold a chilled spoon against the sensitive area of the gums.
- Give your child a cold, wet washcloth to chew on. Make sure you are there to supervise as they chew.
- Chill the pacifier before use by putting it in the fridge.
- Give your child a teething ring.
Your child will generally begin teething around 6 months of age. By the time they are 3 years old, they should have a full set of teeth. Please feel free to use the provided tips during that time to comfort and soothe your baby while they grow into their smile. If these tips prove to be unhelpful, please do not try the amber teething necklace or lidocaine. These two things can severely harm your child. For more tips and information, call 419.605.9818 and talk to your dentist, Dr. Michael O'Neill. We are here to help you in any way we can and we are more than happy to find the best soothing technique for your baby!