Have you ever wondered about the effects that aging can have on your smile? Fortunately, your teeth are well-built, and with a little care they can remain strong for rest of your life, and can continue to serve you well even as chewing and eating can wear them down. Here are a few suggestions to keep your smile strong as you age:
– Brush your teeth at least once every day to ensure you are actively fighting the effects of tooth decay and gum disease by removing plaque and harmful acids from your teeth and gums.
– As you age, brushing with a traditional toothbrush can be difficult. Instead, switch to an alternative tool such as an electric toothbrush. If traditional flossing is too difficult, switch to an alternative interdental cleaner such as a water flosser.
– Avoid bad habits that increase their damage to your oral health as you age. This includes eating sugary foods, smoking or chewing tobacco, and using drugs, even recreational ones.
– Schedule a cleaning with your dentist at least twice per year, and don’t hesitate to visit us for any checkups you may require.
– Your teeth may weaken over time due to the wear and tear of aging, so exercise caution when chewing tough or hard foods that can potentially crack your chip your teeth.
– Floss your teeth at least once per day with a shred-resistant floss or approved interdental tool.
Keeping your teeth clean ensures they will last a lifetime. To schedule your professional cleaning at Wildwood Family & Cosmetic Dentistry with Dr. Michael O'Neill and our team at our dentist office in Toledo, Ohio, simply give us a call at 419.605.9818. We look forward to hearing from you.